Fact Sheet: School Bus Safety
Safety tips for students:
- Be alert to traffic. Check both ways for cars before stepping off the bus.
- Make eye contact with the bus driver, and wait for his/her signal before crossing the street.
- Walk in front of the bus; never walk behind the bus to cross the street
- While waiting for the bus, stay in a safe place away from the street.
- Before leaving the sidewalk, look for the flashing red lights.
- Never go near or under the bus to retrieve something you've dropped.
Safety tips for parents:
- Have your child ride the school bus to and from school instead of driving or riding with teenage passengers.
- Review the safety tips with your child regularly.
- Get to know the parents of the other riders. You will learn about the other children who are riding along with your child.
- Team up with other parents to get involved and monitor bus stops and bus routes. Voice concerns immediately to your school district.
- Get to your school's transportation coordinator and your child's bus driver. He or she is a trained professional who sees your child every day.
- Keep phone numbers handy in case the bus is delayed or in the event of an emergency.