Section 504 Eligibility
Examples of factors which may indicate possible eligibility for services under Section 504:
- When a parent frequently expresses concern about his or her child's performance in school.
- When suspension or expulsion is being considered for any student.
- When retention is being considered.
- When a student shows a pattern of not benefiting from classroom instruction.
- When a student returns to school after a serious illness or injury.
- When a student is referred for assessment, but it is determined not to do an assessment under the IDEA.
- When a student is assessed and is found not to qualify for special education services under the IDEA.
- When a student exhibits a chronic health condition that impacts his or her disability to benefit from the school program.
- When a student has been identified as having an Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) and is observed having difficulty in school.
- When a student is identified as "at risk" or exhibits the potential for dropping out of school.
- When substance abuse is an issue.
- When a disability of any kind is known or suspected.
- When a student is homeless.
- When a student has a parent with a disability.